I cannot stress the importance of clothing for your session. Having the right clothing will make all the difference in loving your final images. I will be I understand it is a very daunting task to shop for your session however I am here to help you along the way. Here are a few Do’s and Don’t to follow:
– Do not wear anything with writing or visible logos.
– Do not allow anyone to have white socks….seriously check your husbands feet before we meet.
– Do not baseball caps or fedoras…just trust me. – Do not let your hubby dress in his favorite plaid shirt…just because it is his favourite does not mean it will look great in the portraits.
– Do not wear bright green, blue or yellow9 unless its mustard yellow) ….ever….again trust me.
– DO start with mom. Find an incredible dress that you feel great in. I personally cannot get enough of maxi dresses for mom. I will be asking you to bend, squat , runt etc throughout the session therefore short dresses simply do not work for this!!
– Do dress for the weather, and be flexible. Be prepared to be flexible with wardrobe, in case you have to switch it up last minute. If you have plans for a cute sundress for your daughter, and the weather ends up being 20 degrees colder than you were anticipating, switch it up a bit by adding layers. Tights, boots, scarf, slouchy hat, cardigan. Dress appropriately for the weather that day, even if it doesn’t go with your original plan. If your child is sweating profusely in a sweater during his shoot, he won’t be happy. And on the same token, if your child is wearing a tank dress and the weather dips too much in the evening, she’ll be a grump, and it’ll reflect in the final images. I speak these words from experience. There are a couple of instances I can think of that I should have taken this advice with my own kids!
– Do remember timeless always has a place. I love when my clients show up to a shoot with the most simple and timeless of outfits. A smock dress that belonged to Great-Grandma. A plain white lace dress with a simple bow. A plain diaper cover. Naked baby! These outfits (or lack thereof) will always stand the test of time, and will never go out of style.
– Do coordinate but NOT match . We know your family is together. We’re photographing you together! So, wearing the same colored shirt, pants, shoes, etc. looks a bit awkward. Coordinating color is what really brings wardrobe together. I usually choose two to three main colors of wardrobe, and maybe one accent pop of color. Also, mixing stripes with plaids and tweeds is okay! Expression is important. We want to see your personality through your wardrobe.
– Do dress in neutral for my studio sessions…think cream, white, blush , soft blue and creamy browns.
– Do buy clothing that fits well and you can move and bend in….. honestly nothing worse that wearing clothing that is too small or too big.
Check out this PINTEREST BOARD for Studio Looks.
Check out this PINTEREST BOARD for Outdoor Looks
Favorite Places to Shop
1. GAP. They provide a great option for “basics.” Just about anything you’d need, you’ll find on their website. And Gap frequently offers sales and discounts if you sign up for their email list, plus their sale rack prices are amazing!
2. FREE PEOPLE. Free People is my happy place. Think easy, breezy, comfy, boho chick. You can find free people clothing at The Bay.
3. Anthropologie. It’s a little bit more on the expensive side, but the clothes are quality, unique and last forever.
4. J.CREW. Their Crew Cuts kids line is probably one of my top 5 sites for kids clothes. Also, their shoe selection for kids alone makes me giddy.
4. VIci – Love the maxi dresses from here and everything from here.
6. H&M. has great clothing for boys at awesome pricing.
7. Forever21. Cute clothes for women of all sizes (and men!) on the cheap.
8. Zara. I get lost on this site, seriously. So many adorable pieces, shoes, accessories, etc. For men, women and children.
9. Modcloth. A fun, flirty and pretty affordable site for women’s timeless dresses, fun tops and the best shoes and accessories!
10. Shopruche. Another great site for women’s dresses and tops. Gorgeous, gorgeous clothing.
11. Joyfolie. Shoes, shoes, glorious shoes! For girls and women. Breathtaking dresses, jackets, caplets. Moms will thank me for this. Husbands, not so much.
12. Pink Blush Maternity. STOP they have GREAT maxi’s that are not maternity!!!