I had to include a family session with this blog post and I have to say they were absolutely amazing to work with and this article does not pertain to any of them!!! This is a recent session I did here in Saskatoon on a lovely summer night.
I have been photographing now for 9 years and I have to say the most stressful type of photo shoot used to be family photos… not for me but for the families. Time after time I have had the grumpy husband get out of the car in a foul mood because he hates getting photos. The couple usually has a few tense words with one and other just before arriving and the kids are a hot mess because they hate what they are wearing, they are tired and hungry!!! Mom is emotional because she just wants everyone to be happy and cooperate and stop complaining. I have lived this myself. It seems everyone would rather be anywhere BUT family photos. I am here to help and with my tips you should have a better time at this years family photos.
1. Schedule your session well ahead of time. Schedule your session with enough time for you to shop for your family outfits. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to coordinate outfits at the last minute. You spend more time running around to various stores to pick and choose pieces in hopes they coordinate. I actually have a solution for this that allows you to shop from your couch and never leave your house. All outfits will go together with little to no effort and your family will look incredible. I have an online stylist that I offer to all of my clients when they book with me. As well I have a growing client wardrobe I am happy to lend out here and there.
2. Mom get your make up done…..if you don’t plan anything else plan on this. It will make you feel so nice and beautiful and you will be feeling great for the session. If you feel great it shows and I swear you will love your pictures so much more. I have some incredible people I work with so message me for information.
3. Eat and drink before you arrive. Seriously I cannot stress this enough….I am not saying have a full on meal before but feed your kids so they are not hungry . I have had parents say ” its ok honey we will go eat after we are done” ummmmm no your kids hangry and cannot see straight please feed him/her. As well if your hubby requires a quick beer before hand I am not opposed to that as long as you drive. Stay hydrated everyone!
4. Bribes…. plan them, bring them , whatever you want they work. I have a pro mom that wraps up gifts for her kids for every session and at the end of our session the kids get to unwrap the little treat… its always a hot even if its something small they love it. I have candy, suckers and other things I can offer and do however you know your kid the best so a special treat from mm really lights them up!
5. Do NOT plan anything else on your photo-shoot day!!!! Do NOT and I repeat do NOT schedule your photos when you have to work, attend 5 birthday parties, make hockey practice by 10, be at ballet by 10:05 in the middle of football season!!!! Do you catch my drift? make your day as free and clear as possible. NOTHING adds to stress more than being over scheduled. I have been shooting for so long now that I can bang out a complete family session quickly so I promise to make the time efficient for you if you plan your day accordingly. Make your life and your photographers life easier by having a low key family day.
Speaking of family pictures you can now snag 1 of my 10 September sessions I am offering this year.